The Bird Wings Beat Forum

Open up your heart and let that little bird out.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-24 4:45 pm

reefdog
Site Admin
Website

New "Simple Life"-ish album in Fall

He may have announced this earlier, but the first I heard of it was at the 5/21 Dallas show: this Fall, Mason's going to release another album of early fan favorites and such. He mentioned "In the Field" (née "The Field") as a definite cut.

What else do we hope makes it?

#2 2010-05-26 6:49 pm

k(id)

Re: New "Simple Life"-ish album in Fall

Lonely Computer Screen... not necessarily in the "early" category, but an nice studio version from the Use Your Voice sessions would be great.

Overall, I am more preferential to later/more-recent Mason, so I would personally like to see songs that got cut from actually making it onto Use Your Voice, Boneclouds (although we prob. got most of the those on the Reason EP), In the Ever, and Blood of Man.

#3 2010-05-26 8:02 pm

bkg

I'm curious if they will actually be earlier recordings (album outtakes, demos, etc.) or new recordings of older songs. 

Now that he is touring with Chris and Brian again, I want a live album/DVD.  Bring back some of the extended jam/freakouts and live covers.  I suppose I can just live off of my archive.org bootlegs though.

#4 2010-05-27 12:32 am

reefdog
Site Admin
Website

bkg wrote:

I'm curious if they will actually be earlier recordings (album outtakes, demos, etc.) or new recordings of older songs.

Definitely new recordings. He said "I recorded an album this summer, which is coming out in the fall..." which I thought was weird since I don't really consider it to be summer right now, but either way it was clear he had gone into the studio to do the songs.

I'd love to see a new tour video, too. Get Andy Grund back!

#5 2010-05-27 5:59 am

MrGrant

New tour video would be awesome.

#6 2010-05-28 8:43 pm

doodletown

Have a feeling "Bhikhu" & "Better Than That" may make the cut (maybe "Born"??).  Would love studio recordings of "Joy" or "Flight Path"....live version of "Ease Your Mind" (complete with solo &/or ending freak-out) would be fantastic as well.  Just my wish list...

#7 2010-06-01 12:31 pm

darknessfromlight

I second the motion for "lonely computer screen".  I was surprised that song never made the cut for Use Your Voice. 

Also, some of my favorite live tracks I'd like to see show up would be...

- Bhikku (aka Strange Blossom)
- Better Than That
- Young Anymore

I also think it would be sweet if Mason did electric versions of some of his songs.

#8 2010-06-01 2:12 pm

reefdog
Site Admin
Website

"Young Anymore" is actually "Born", so looks like you and Doodle are twinsies.

Man, I'm not such a big LCS fan. I wouldn't mind it, but there are others I'd rather hear more.

#9 2010-06-01 2:56 pm

darknessfromlight

reefdog wrote:

"Young Anymore" is actually "Born", so looks like you and Doodle are twinsies.

Man, I'm not such a big LCS fan. I wouldn't mind it, but there are others I'd rather hear more.

I guess we have similar tastes.  Funny.

Maybe it's because I sit in front of a computer at work all day, the song speaks to me.  :)

#10 2010-06-03 2:10 pm

DiscoDave
Formerly DLindberg

Hey Guys,
  I too would like to see Bhikku, LCS, Flightpath as well.  But most of all I would love it if "White" would make it on to this album as well.  That would be great.  Most of the songs mentioned here are ones that I have only heard on early bootlegs.  If they make the cut to the album that would be great because I think it would imply some regular concert play!

Alright!  Time for a crime spree!

#11 2010-06-04 12:47 pm

anthroboy
superhero anthropologist
Website

Bhikku would be nice.  Maybe he could do some Phish covers as well...haha.  I could see Mason doing a great cover of Wading in  velvet sea....

i am not a vegetarian because i love animals; i am a vegetarian because i hate plants.

#12 2010-07-26 10:16 am

reefdog
Site Admin
Website

All of you jonesing for a high-quality, complete "Lonely Computer Screen" will be very happy to see this: Live at First Ave..

It could be on the new album, too (titled "The Flood", by the way), but if not, at least that's something!

#13 2010-08-10 2:31 pm

captaind7

I am so excited for this album. Simple Life is one of my favorites, and I expect this one to be just as great.

I agree with most of the songs listed by previous posters, especially Joy and White. I would also really really dig 579 (Road to Oakland). I think that's one of his most beautiful songs.

Board footer